1. Arrange students into groups. Each group needs at least ONE person who has a mobile device.
2. If their phone camera doesn't automatically detect and decode QR codes, ask students to
4. Cut them out and place them around your class / school.
1. Give each group a clipboard and a piece of paper so they can write down the decoded questions and their answers to them.
2. Explain to the students that the codes are hidden around the school. Each team will get ONE point for each question they correctly decode and copy down onto their sheet, and a further TWO points if they can then provide the correct answer and write this down underneath the question.
3. Away they go! The winner is the first team to return with the most correct answers in the time available. This could be within a lesson, or during a lunchbreak, or even over several days!
4. A detailed case study in how to set up a successful QR Scavenger Hunt using this tool can be found here.
|1. The letters that represent the different forms of a gene are known as?||alleles||2. If long hair is dominant to short hair, and two short haired rabbits mate, what are the chances of producing long haired babies?||0%||3. What is the term used when two alleles for one trait are the same?||homozygous||4. Straight feathers in chickens are dominant over frizzled feathers. If two heterozygous for straight feathered chickens mate, what are the chances of them producing a frizzled feathered chick?||25%||5. Hairy tomato stems are dominant over hairless stems. If all of the offspring from a cross pollination are hairless, what must the parents genotypes be?||hh and hh||6. Check all listed that are examples of phenotypes.||answer||7. In frogs an extra sticky tongue is dominant over a normal sticky tongue. A heterozygous extra sticky tongue frogs mates with a normal sticky tongue frog. What are the chances of a froglet having a normal tongue?||50%||8. In humans brown hair is dominant to red hair. Two humans with the genotypes BB and bb are having a child. Is is possible for their child to have red hair?||no||9. Sickle cell anemia is a recessive disorder of the blood. If two people that are heterozygous for normal blood marry and have a child, what are the chances it will have sickle cell anemia?||25%||10. Who is considered to be the father of genetics?||mendel||11. What is the term for this genotype- BB?||homo dominant||12. Fill in the blanks in order: ________ are segments of _____ located on ____________ that code for _________.||answer||13. Tongue rolling is a dominant trait. If Bob can roll his tongue, but his mom can't, what would be his genotype?||answer||14. If you want to figure out if the genotype of a dominant phenotype is TT or Tt you can cross the organism with a homozygous recessive (tt) organism. How will looking at the offspring let you know if it is TT or Tt?||answer||15. The top and side of a Punnett square represent the ________ and the inside of the square represents the ___________. Fill in the blanks in order.||answer|
Question 1 (of 15)
Question 2 (of 15)
Question 3 (of 15)
Question 4 (of 15)
Question 5 (of 15)
Question 6 (of 15)
Question 7 (of 15)
Question 8 (of 15)
Question 9 (of 15)
Question 10 (of 15)
Question 11 (of 15)
Question 12 (of 15)
Question 13 (of 15)
Question 14 (of 15)
Question 15 (of 15)