1. Arrange students into groups. Each group needs at least ONE person who has a mobile device.
2. If their phone camera doesn't automatically detect and decode QR codes, ask students to
4. Cut them out and place them around your class / school.
1. Give each group a clipboard and a piece of paper so they can write down the decoded questions and their answers to them.
2. Explain to the students that the codes are hidden around the school. Each team will get ONE point for each question they correctly decode and copy down onto their sheet, and a further TWO points if they can then provide the correct answer and write this down underneath the question.
3. Away they go! The winner is the first team to return with the most correct answers in the time available. This could be within a lesson, or during a lunchbreak, or even over several days!
4. A detailed case study in how to set up a successful QR Scavenger Hunt using this tool can be found here.
|1. Who was named the commander of the Continental army?||George Washington||2. Why was it important for the Americans to capture Fort Ticonderoga and Crown Point from the British?||to prevent New England from being cut off from the rest of the colonies||3. Why did the colonists hope the Canadians would join their cause?||If the British lost Canada as a base for operations, it would be harder for them to attack elsewhere||4. Where did the colonists get the artillery to defend Boston?||Fort Ticonderoga||5. Why were the colonists concerned about losing their religious freedom?||They feared they might someday be forced to join the Anglican Church||6. Where did the Loyalists go who fled the colonies?||England, Canada, or the British West Indies||7. Which was the first colony to call for independence?||Virginia||8. Why did Washington need a victory at Trenton to attract men to join the Patriots?||morale was low, they had not had a victory in 7 months, troop enlistments expired at the end of 1776, and Washington would be left with few men||9. How did the British change their strategy after the Battle of Saratoga?||they decided to focus on the South and only continue to blockade the North with occasional raids||10. What were three reasons the Continental army so low on supplies during the winter at Valley Forge?||congress had not power to tax and little money, states sent supplies but sometimes they didn’t reach the troops, the paper money system collapsed||11. Who became the commander of America’s southern forces after Horatio Gates?||Nathaniel Greene||12. What were four results of the Treaty of Paris?||ended the war, granted the US freedom, gave the nation all lands east of the Mississippi, and set the northern boundary from the Great Lakes to Lake of the Woods (MN)||13.||14.||15. BONUS: How old was the Marquis de Lafayette when he joined the army?||14|
Question 1 (of 15)
Question 2 (of 15)
Question 3 (of 15)
Question 4 (of 15)
Question 5 (of 15)
Question 6 (of 15)
Question 7 (of 15)
Question 8 (of 15)
Question 9 (of 15)
Question 10 (of 15)
Question 11 (of 15)
Question 12 (of 15)
Question 13 (of 15)
Question 14 (of 15)
Question 15 (of 15)