1. Arrange students into groups. Each group needs at least ONE person who has a mobile device.
2. If their phone camera doesn't automatically detect and decode QR codes, ask students to
4. Cut them out and place them around your class / school.
1. Give each group a clipboard and a piece of paper so they can write down the decoded questions and their answers to them.
2. Explain to the students that the codes are hidden around the school. Each team will get ONE point for each question they correctly decode and copy down onto their sheet, and a further TWO points if they can then provide the correct answer and write this down underneath the question.
3. Away they go! The winner is the first team to return with the most correct answers in the time available. This could be within a lesson, or during a lunchbreak, or even over several days!
4. A detailed case study in how to set up a successful QR Scavenger Hunt using this tool can be found here.
|1. Airports A and B are 450km apart, on an east-west line. Tom flies in a northeast direction from A to airport C. From C he flies 359km on a bearing of 128° 40’ to B. How far is C from A?||281.249||2.||3. A hill slopes at an angle of 12.47° with the horizontal. From the base of the hill, the angle of elevation of a 459.0ft tower at the top of the hill is 35.98°. How much rope would be required to reach from the top of the tower to the bottom of the hill?||1123.494ft||4.||5. A ship is sailing due north. At a certain point the bearing of a lighthouse 12.5km away is N 38.8° E. Later on, the captain notices that the bearing of the lighthouse has become S 44.2° E. How far did the ship travel between the two observations of the lighthouse?||17.796km||6.||7.||8. A weight is supported by cables attached to both ends of a balance beam, as shown in the figure. What angles are formed between the beam and the cables?||21.312 and 46.625 degrees||9.||10. Radio direction finders are placed at points A and B, which are 3.46mi apart on an east-west line, with A west of B. From A the bearing of a certain radio transmitter is 47.7°, and from B the bearing is 302.5°. Find the distance of the transmitter from A.||1.926mi||11.||12. A real estate agent wants to find the area of a triangular lot. A surveyor takes measurements and finds that two sides are 52.1m and 21.3m, and the angle between them is 42.2°. What is the area of the triangular lot?||372.714m^2||13.||14. You want to paint a table top, so you measure the sides of the triangular table to be 52in, 63in and 75in. How many square inches of paint will you need to paint the table top? (Assume you are a minimalist and want exactly the right amount of paint, no more no less. Oh and one coat will do it just fine.)||1616.911in^2||15.||16. What is the measure rounded to the nearest tenth degree of one of the larger angles of a parallelogram in the xy-plane that has vertices with coordinates (2, 1), (5, 1), (3, 5) and (6, 5)?||104.0 degrees|
Question 1 (of 16)
Question 2 (of 16)
Question 3 (of 16)
Question 4 (of 16)
Question 5 (of 16)
Question 6 (of 16)
Question 7 (of 16)
Question 8 (of 16)
Question 9 (of 16)
Question 10 (of 16)
Question 11 (of 16)
Question 12 (of 16)
Question 13 (of 16)
Question 14 (of 16)
Question 15 (of 16)
Question 16 (of 16)