As a starter, plenary or revision exercise, challenge students to summarise an aspect of their most recent study topic as a ‘click bait’ headline for a trashy website blog post.
I have coded the following tool to help students generate their own headlines, complete with image:
Common formats of such blogposts involve the phrases:
- [?] tries to [?]. The reason why will make you [?]
- [?] tries to [?]. You won’t BELIEVE what happened next!
- This video will prove that [?]
- 10 [?] you should never [?] to [?]
- X was Y. First you’ll be shocked, then you’ll be inspired
- 10 [?] that look like [?]
- 10 [?] that you won’t believe [?]
Taking it further
During revision, secretly allocate different students a different topic to produce a clickbait headline for. Other students then have to guess what topic is being referred to.